Sunday, June 23, 2013

We've Only Just Begun

What an amazing day! Beautiful weather (at least for a while), got my walk in, and took the obligatory trip to Gaither Family Resources to stock up on music and DVD's - good thing I don't live in Anderson or I'd be broke quickly!

The opening ceremonies took place today and I am still basking in the awesomeness of the whole thing! I have to say that I really like the change of venue from Reardon Auditorium to the Kardatzke Wellness Center, and I think some of the changes (including the way the schedule is put together) could and should be implemented in the future. I think I'm going to like the idea of multiple worship services every day!

The flag processional is what kicked-off the service this afternoon and I couldn't help but cry the entire time. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but I believe there were 86 nations represented in this powerful parade. I tried to get a few pictures of this awesome display of unity, but couldn't quit crying long enough to get anything worth looking at. So, I want to give credit to CHOG Blog for posting this picture on his Twitter account:

If that wasn't enough, Jay Rouse and his team not only led us in worship, but did so in a way that brought no attention to themselves; all focus was on God...there's a novel idea! The different cultural flavors were inserted throughout all of the songs, and the creative use of video was top-notch. In fact, in the "He Reigns" video, there was a transition from African music to Irish music that was so smooth and well done that I almost stood up and applauded. Whoever edited that audio together is a master and should be given a raise immediately! I hope worship leaders all over the Church of God pay attention to what was accomplished here today. You can watch the service at this link and see for yourself.

In case you didn't hear, 100% of the offerings collected this year will be given to support water and hunger projects. Specifically, 7,000 wells in Africa and 250,000 meals in Latin America will be provided through the generous giving of the Church of God this week. A special "Thank you!" to the people of Water 4 for partnering with us in this Kingdom work. Maybe this will be the catalyst that will help us to see what we can do when we begin putting our resources together and are intentional about being the Church.

Now, all of this great stuff is taking place and we haven't even heard the sermon yet. Is it possible to get any better? Of course it is! Especially when the preacher is Bishop Timothy Clarke! As I tweeted during the service, "Not only did we just have church, but I think we saw the church, too!" Once again, the bar was raised for what it means to preach at future conventions. I encourage all of you to watch this message, and yes, I'll say it: Pastor, maybe you can take a week off from preaching and play this for the congregation instead. Bishop Clarke starts at approx. 1:18:00 in this video.

The post-service activities included an American-style picnic under the big tent and of course, the rain storm that left everyone and everything a little soggy for a while. This put a damper on any outdoor activities with my boys, so we wrestled and played in our room for a while. My apologies to the downstairs neighbors :)

It was getting late and the wife and kids were kind of tired, so I decided to go by myself to see Jared Hall - the illusionist. Amazing performer! If you are looking for clean, quality entertainment for your church or any other ministry opportunity, I highly recommend Jared; you won't be disappointed.

That's a lot for a first day, but we've only just begun...I can't wait to see what happens next!


No comments:

Post a Comment